Here’s a recipe for healthy and delicious Walnut and Herb Stuffed Eggplant Rolls, that is perfect
both for the holiday season and as a year-round treat. Thank you to cookbook author Phyllis Glazer.
Serve 2 pieces per person as a first course, 3 or more as a main course. Makes about 16 pieces.
- 3-4 medium eggplants
(choose elongated rather than rounded type)
- Black pepper
- Olive Oil
- 2 cups walnut halves
- 2 medium garlic cloves, pressed (1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon white or red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- Scant 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1 small dried hot pepper or cayenne to taste
- 1/2 cup packed chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup packed chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Pomegranate syrup to garnish (optional)
Cut the stems off the eggplants, and slice lengthwise into 1 cm slices. Sprinkle both sides with a little coarse salt and pepper and rub in. Let stand for 10 minutes, rinse off and pat dry.
Sauté half the eggplant slices on both sides until golden brown using olive oil. Remove and place between two sheets of paper towels to absorb excess oil. Repeat with the rest of the oil and eggplant.Grind the walnuts to a powder in a food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients, blending until the paste forms a ball. Lay the eggplant slices on a work surface and place 2 or more tablespoons of filling (depending on type of eggplant) at the base. Carefully roll up from the bottom into a compact roll. Place on a serving platter, decorate with drops of pomegranate syrup and fresh greens if desired, and serve.